June 18, 2015 - Cool Days
After the deluges of last week we seem to have settled into a cool (for mid-June) weather pattern with only occasional showers. While this might not be ideal weather for outdoor summer activities, it is pretty darn good weather for reading! Cool days, with a few clouds thrown in for atmosphere, let you stretch out on the sofa (davenport/ couch/divan/chaise longue/ chesterfield/settee/love seat/ottoman –what have you), throw a light covering (blanket/quilt/comforter/etc.) over you, invite your pets (preferably mammalian and able to appreciate and at the same time be a heat source) to join you and settle in with a good book. Below you will find a list of many of the good books that arrived at the library this past week. Remember you can redeem all the reading you do this summer for Dragon Dollars which can be used to purchase many fabulous items available in the “Summer Lair” or which can be donated to the DeForest Area Needs Network or the Dane County Humane Society. Your donated Dragon Dollars will be converted into legal tender and given to those worthy causes at the end of the summer program. Enjoy!
- Modern romance / by Aziz Ansari. The acclaimed stand-up comedian and Emmy Award-nominated star of “Parks and Recreation” evaluates how technology is shaping today's romances, citing the work of forefront social scientists while considering the differences between courtships of the past and present.
- When parents part : how mothers and fathers can help their children deal with separation and divorce / by Penelope Leach. One of the world's leading experts on child development, drawing on the latest scientific research, covers the various effects of divorce on children in five stages, providing practical advice and helping parents to do what is best for their children as they are going through a separation or divorce.
- Pirate hunters : treasure, obsession, and the search for a legendary pirate ship / by Robert Kurson. Traces the high-stakes quest of John Mattera and “Shadow Divers”' Chatterton to find the lost pirate ship of Joseph Bannister, discussing their teamwork with technology-eschewing Tracy Bowden and the story behind Bannister's elusive treasure. By a “New York Times” best-selling author.
- The darkling child : the defenders of Shannara / by Terry Brooks. A second Defenders of Shannara novel continues the events of “The High Druid's Blade” and follows the adventures of Druid Order paladin Paxon Leah, who must protect a magic-wielding musician from the corruptions of a rival sorcerer.
- Dead ice / by Laurell Hamilton. When her independent reputation is compromised by her engagement to master vampire Jean-Claude, Anita takes an assignment from the FBI to track down a practitioner of dark voodoo who is victimizing women. By the #1 best-selling author of “A Shiver of Light”.
- All the single ladies / by Dorothea Benton Frank. In the wake of a remarkable woman's death, three middle-aged women bond over their shared grief while evaluating their own shifting prospects. By the best-selling author of “The Hurricane Sisters”.
- Blueprints / by Barbara Delinsky. The bond between a talented carpenter and her architect daughter is challenged by a career-shifting network decision, a family death, sudden parenting responsibilities and changing romantic prospects. By the “New York Times” best-selling author of “Sweet Salt Air”.
- China rich girlfriend : a novel / by Kevin Kwan. Feeling incomplete because her unknown birth father cannot walk her down the aisle, a girl on the brink of marrying one of Asia's richest bachelors is brought into the elite circles of Shanghai by a shocking revelation. By the best-selling author of “Crazy Rich Asians”.
- Country : a novel / by Danielle Steel. Struggling to achieve an independent life when her stale marriage abruptly ends, Stephanie Adams embarks on an impulsive road trip and discovers herself in the course of a whirlwind relationship with a famous country music star. By the best-selling author of “Prodigal Son”.
- The invasion of the Tearling / by Erika Johansen. After Queen Kelsea Glynn stops slaves from being shipped to Mortmesne, the Red Queen sends her ferocious army, backed with dark magic, into Tearling, in a sequel to the nationally best-selling “The Queen of Tearling”.
- The rumor : a novel / by Elin Hilderbrand. Struggling with looming bills and writer's block while her best friend faces a life-changing decision, Nantucket author Madeline King tackles escalating rumors during a summer of explosive secrets. By the best-selling author of “Barefoot” and “Beautiful Day”.
- The Santangelos / by Jackie Collins. A latest epic family saga by the best-selling author of “Hollywood Wives” follows the experiences of the influential Lucky Santangelo, who navigates a feud with a powerful rival family in the face of a vicious hit and attacks against her children.
- Finders keepers : a novel / by Stephen King. A follow-up to “Mr. Mercedes” follows the experiences of an irate fan whose obsession with a reclusive writer leads to an act of violence, the discovery of a hidden manuscript decades later and a young boy's desperate struggle for survival. By a #1 “New York Times” best-selling author.